Summer is here and having dry hair is one of the most talked about issues for women, especially us with natural hair. We tend to spend everything we have looking for the best solutions possible – searching for dry hair remedies that work! It seems like oils, conditioners or hair masks are logical fixes for dry hair, but we want to introduce you to a much simpler yet effective solution to combat dry hair.
Say Hello to Hair Steaming…
What is Hair Steaming?
Simply stated, hair steaming means means adding moisture to the hair in the form of moist heat (steam) to the hair strands. Hair steaming can be done in a number of different ways. For example, you can use a handheld hair steamer, a standing steamer, a steamer cap, or even enjoying the steam after a long warm shower.
Hair steaming is a one of the best things you can do to help your hair grow and strengthen the elasticity of your hair. The benefits of hair steaming are incredible, your hair will be stronger and more vibrant.
Benefits of Hair Steaming
- Opens Hair Cuticle – The hair cuticle opens when the warm vapor from the hair steamer is placed onto your hair. Thus, allowing nutrients to penetrate into hair and the moist heat encourages blood flow to the scalp.
- Improves Hair Elasticity – Steam treatments improve the elasticity and strength of the hair. Elasticity refers to how much the hair strand can be stretched without breaking. Hair steaming helps the hair to absorb so much moisture that the curls will be able to bend and stretch. It keeps your hair in a strong elastic state, allowing you to style your hair beautifully without worrying of hair breakage.
- Enhances Curl Definition – Moisture is one of the keys to great definition regardless of your hair texture. Hair steaming allows you to get the moisture to help reshape and boost your curls. You’re now able to walk out the door with lively and defined kinks, coils, and curls!
- Porosity – Hair steam therapy is good for naturalistas with low porosity. It allows the water vapor to penetrate into hair strands for long lasting moisture. Because the cuticle layer is being opened, it is easier for products to penetrate into the hair to maintain supple flexible strands. Low porosity hair loves all moisture and steaming is like dessert to the hair.
- Promotes Hair Growth – Hair Steaming helps add moisture to the hair, which is the canvas for healthy hair growth. The warmth from the steam also helps fight through some product build-up/dirt on the scalp, making it easier to keep your scalp clean. Adding this treatment into your natural hair regimen will help you improve the overall health of your hair.
Constant changes in the environment around us mean that we must also change the way we care for our hair. Over exposure to harsh products, chemicals, stress and medications can cause damage to our hair. To get the most out of hair steaming at home, we recommend that you prep your hair with HairYum blueberry deep conditioner or HairYum pink sugar protein conditioner, and HairYum hairgrowth vegan hair oil. Just by adding a few drops of our HairYum Hairgrowth oil to the blueberry deep conditioner will add hydration to your hair before you hair steam.
We advise doing a steam treatment every two weeks to build up moisture retention but don’t over do it. Also use a hair steamer for no more than 20-30 minutes.
Share your hair steaming results below – we love hearing from you.